~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

Thursday 25 March 2010

What Kind of Writer?

Since this is the 25th March, it must be EdMo day 25. I've logged a mere 16 hours so far, which is woefully behind schedule - and that's despite having a Skeelly day last Saturday, accounting for roughly half of those hours!

No matter, it's all valuable experience...

As is often the case, these things don't always go to plan and I managed to kill off one of my characters last Saturday. So, I'm now dealing with a murder mystery! This, coupled with the idea to switch from a first person to a multiple (well two - three at the most) third person point of view, means that the story's structure has changed direction in a big way. I knew I would need at least another strand to take care of part of the story but I hadn't explored it in too great a detail. To be fair, as a NaNo, I was concentrating on bashing out a mere 50,000 words. A full length first draft however is more like double that - so in reality, there's another 50,000 words to find and this is the position I find myself in now.

If I've learned nothing else, I've discovered what kind of writer I am; a planner rather than a "Seat of your pants" type. The NaNo I'm editing now was the most planned novel I've attempted so far, and as a NaNo it was an absolute dream to write. But, as already mentioned, it needs roughly another 50,000 words, and this is why I've struggled with it. It's because of this that a part of me wants to scrap it (and all other partially completed novels) and start again on something completely new. Another part of me (quite a big part as it happens,) thinks I should persist with it; I've come this far, it would be a shame to turn around and go back now. In typical Libran fashion, I'm undecided.

What's the answer? Perhaps I need a plan for the other 50,000 words? It all seems a very disjointed way of doing things but I would be much better equipped to deal with future novels as a result (did you see that glimmer of optimism?) So, what's it to be? Scrap everything and start again with a completely new plan and the thrill of writing 100,000 new words? Or, the thrill of writing 50,000 new words to a new plan and the satisfaction of a finished project? Somehow,I think I've answered my own question but I'd be curious to know what others would do when faced with a similar dilemma?

No comments: